Head Coach: Charmin Smith (3rd season in 2021-22)
Unofficial Cal Women’s Basketball Scholarship Chart
Note: The NCAA has granted an extra year of eligibility to 2020-21 D-I winter sports athletes (including women’s basketball players). Programs will be allowed to exceed the 15-scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season only (and only for their own returning players). Until there is definitive word that a player will be taking advantage of this extra year, the WBB Blog scholarship charts will not reflect this extra eligibility.
- April 2021: assistant coach April Phillips leaves to join the Arizona staff; Paul Reed is hired as assistant coach and recruiting coordinator (press release)
- May 2021: Karisma Ortiz grad-transfers in from Texas (press release)
- May 2021: Amaya Bonner (2022) commits to Cal
- May 2021: assistant coach Wendale Farrow leaves to join Southern Cal staff
- June 2021: two more join the staff as assistant coaches—Kelly Cole (press release) and Eliza Pierre (press release)
- October 2021: Karisma Ortiz suffers a knee injury, forcing her to miss the 2021-22 season (press release)
2022 Cal Women’s Basketball Commitments
Aaliyah Gayles, 5-9 PG, Spring Valley HS (Las Vegas, NV) [Cal among 10 finalists announced in September 2020; committed to Southern Cal, November 2020]
Jennah Isai, 6-0 W, Valley Vista HS (Surprise, AZ) [offered September 2020; committed to Oregon, June 2021]
Elle Ladine, 5-11 SG, Pinewood HS (Los Altos Hills, CA) [Cal among six finalists announced in September 2021; committed to Washington, September 2021]
Grace VanSlooten, 6-3 W/F, Toledo Notre Dame Academy (OH) [offered September 2020; Cal not among 10 finalists announced in November 2020]
See next page for 2023 commitments and targets for Cal women’s basketball
Disclaimers: The roster information, offers, and commitments are all unofficial. Offers come and go, so some offers listed may no longer be on the table, and some offers are erroneously reported. In addition, the target lists are inevitably incomplete because offers are not publicly reported for many prospects.